Nota Breve

Podia ter chamado este blog "Reflexões de uma luso-americana"; escolhi "Mensagem numa garrafa" por desconhecer o destino das minhas palavras e o impacto que estas terão. Será escrito nas versões de português de Portugal (pelos menos da maneira que me recordo) e de inglês americano.

This blog could have been named "Musings of a Portuguese-American"; I chose "Message in a Bottle" as I will never know who my words will reach and the impact they'll have on all those strangers. It is being written in American English, as well as in Portuguese from Portugal.

17 de dezembro de 2014

The mother who scolded her two adult sons on live TV



This is too funny. Two adult men feeling (and looking) like two little boys with a good old-fashioned momma scolding: 

I’m glad this was the year you went to your in-laws for Thanksgiving.”

I want you to get this out of your system before you come over for Christmas; I would really like a peaceful Christmas.” So would I, Mrs Woodhouse. So.Would.I.

In other words: I love you both very much, but I’m still your mother and I want you both to stop behaving like children.

This family’s holidays remind me of what goes on with my own family and my in-laws. Every year around the holiday table there’s bickering and, inevitably, someone’s feelings get hurt. Every year someone stops talking to someone…and every year everyone gets together again; if not for the entire meal, at least for coffee and dessert after visiting with their respective in-laws. And every year at least one mother claims that this does not happen with anybody else’s family.

Humans and their family sagas fascinate me.



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

(Insultos e SPAM serão eliminados)