Nota Breve

Podia ter chamado este blog "Reflexões de uma luso-americana"; escolhi "Mensagem numa garrafa" por desconhecer o destino das minhas palavras e o impacto que estas terão. Será escrito nas versões de português de Portugal (pelos menos da maneira que me recordo) e de inglês americano.

This blog could have been named "Musings of a Portuguese-American"; I chose "Message in a Bottle" as I will never know who my words will reach and the impact they'll have on all those strangers. It is being written in American English, as well as in Portuguese from Portugal.

9 de março de 2017

Fortitude



I cannot control external events like the behavior of other people, but I can certainly control how I respond to them. Turning life’s obstacles to my advantage is my sole responsibility; nobody else’s.

I must remember that life’s most useful and valuable experiences aren’t always the most pleasant ones; learning isn’t always easy but it is always worth it.

Rather than avoiding hardship by pretending that it does not exist or that it will magically disappear, I am only postponing a problem and, in the process, stalling my progress as a human being.

The British are known for their fondness of using self-control to combat destructive emotions. They coined the phrases "stiff upper-lip" and "keep calm and carry on."

The Greeks knew this over two thousand years ago. They called it stoicism.

Three CHEERS for those ancient Greeks!
 Image result for stoicism

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

(Insultos e SPAM serão eliminados)