Nota Breve

Podia ter chamado este blog "Reflexões de uma luso-americana"; escolhi "Mensagem numa garrafa" por desconhecer o destino das minhas palavras e o impacto que estas terão. Será escrito nas versões de português de Portugal (pelos menos da maneira que me recordo) e de inglês americano.

This blog could have been named "Musings of a Portuguese-American"; I chose "Message in a Bottle" as I will never know who my words will reach and the impact they'll have on all those strangers. It is being written in American English, as well as in Portuguese from Portugal.

11 de fevereiro de 2015

The meaning of flowers

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/decorative-valentine-heart-shaped-flowers-3909885.jpg
I love flowers. Born into a family who hails from an island where there’s no shortage of them, I think this is something that’s imbedded in my DNA. I found out the hard way that I’m allergic to daffodils, so I try to avoid them. But I make it a point to have well-cared for flower beds (weather permitting) and freshly-cut flowers inside the house year-round. In my view, there are three ingredients that help turn a house into a home: flowers, pictures of loved ones and books. Lots of books. Tchotchkes and knick-knacks are mere dust collectors.

With Valentines Day right around the corner, there’s an awful lot of talk these days about flowers, warning givers to be cognizant of their meaning lest they embarrass themselves and offend the susceptibilities of the object of their affection. Whenever I receive flowers I pay no attention to their meaning, as my love for flowers supersedes all that other nonsense. 

I, for one, like yellow roses (not because they represent friendship and platonic love), but because I find yellow to be an uplifting, cheery and happy color. I also like daisies and buttercups for their simplicity, and blue hydrangeas because they remind me of my roots and that little island where they seem to grow like weeds. But when all is said and done, these are my absolute favorites – we had plenty of the white variety in our garden in Coimbra; unfortunately, winters are too harsh and summers too hot and humid for them to grow where I now live.

If anyone is curious, here’s a link to the symbolic meaning of flowers and their respective colors, compliments of Teleflora 

Yellow roses and Calla lillies:
 
Daisies and Buttercups:
 

Blue Hydrangeas:
 

[ parece a casa da minha avó; falta a anoneira e os araçais ]

 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

(Insultos e SPAM serão eliminados)